Friday 17 January 2014

Dive Evaluation

Alright onto the second Evaluation! Man, these things take their toll, ha!

Ok, so this is the custom animation that allowed me to make a choice into what the action should be,
I chose to do an animation of a biped diving. I felt it would be an interesting and fun challenge to do so.

So what I did first as always was gather reference footage, and ofcourse being an expert diver I found some footage of my most impressive dives at the london 2012. yeah.....


Also I took a look at this really good image of the arc that would form when someone cliff dives. It shows the cool arcs that you get when weighted objects are thrown into the air with momentum. Its these arcs that im trying to draw with these character animations.












So after gathering reference imagery and footage, I Started drawing out  some gesture studies for how the dive shall look.




 Interestingly, The process for animating this action was actually much quicker than anticipated. Because it was really the whole rig (which was a really cool mannequin rig I got from here http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/character-rigs/c/mannequin--5)
that was following an arc shape, and the picture shown above provided a lot of help with the trajectory of the biped.

Seeing it finished I like that its really exaggerated in the sense that he comes bursting out of the water at the second last bit. What I don't like about it is that it might also be too exaggerated in some bits, I don't like how he comes flying out of the water so fast into the air also he runs a little bit too fast in the first run up. So next time I will make a note and not to exaggerate everything about the animation

No comments:

Post a Comment