Friday 17 January 2014

MAX HITS A WALL Evaluation

Alright, Heres my first set of evaluations for the animations I've been working on for the last few months.

So for this first animation test, it was the max rig running into a wall.

Typiclly it started with reference video footage that i took of myself, when taking the videos I knew that I would be exaggerating the body movements that was on the video, so there was no point in me running at full speed into a wall and ending up hurting myself! After me and Greame shot the reference footage I started drawing out rough sketches for what the sequence would look like.










Overall I quite like this one, I think his run cycle seems to be quite effective at first. But there are a few things that I would improve for next time for this, For one I think that I could have added more frames on the impact point. It also seems like hes almost bouncing off the wall rather than thudding onto the wall. If he had more of a dull thud kind of impact then it would have been a lot more successful in my opinion.

Another thing I think could have been made much better would have been the arm swings. I was aiming to make the arcs look really nice and powerful. But within the graph editor in maya I was having trouble with the curves to look right with the slow in and slow out movements that I was trying to aim for.
One last final thing that I feel that I could have made a better effort with would be max actually looking like hes getting comically shot by the flying turret.
What I like to do with all projects I do, (character designs, animations, sketches, paintings..) is to always  introduce some kind of narrative, into it. For instance with this animation, of max running into a wall...why does he run into a wall? Whats his intention? What is he running from? The whole point of these animations are to show an animated biped reacting to some kind of force, but I wanted to add some kind of feature (like the flying turret) that will give a sense of slapstick within this sequence.




No comments:

Post a Comment